Length of bridge is 600 meters, heigth 45 meters. First wooden bridge here was built in 1915 - 1916 by the German army. At the time it was largest wooden bridge in Europe. But wooden bridge was unstable and in 1918 German army built concrete bridge with statue of field-marshal Hindenburg nearby. In 1926 - 1928 bridge has been reconstructed by Lithuanian authorities and statue of Hindenburg was removed. In 1944 former bridge was blown and rebuilt only in 1951.