Region of Lazdijai is on the south part of Lithuania so-called Dzūkija. Cultural landscape is one of the main Europe’s cultural heritage components – combination of amazing forests, water and agriculture, which marks centuries of archaeology, history and natures monument. Together they perfectly fit developed services for tourists, hospitality of local inhabitants and feel the spirit of Dzūkija events.
Protected terrain in Lazdijai region takes 18.5%. Recently Veisiejai and Meteliai regional parks attract many tourists. Veisiejai and Vainežeris parks also 4 reserves: Kalniškės landscape reserve, Krakinis reserve, Kučiuliškis zoological reserve, Kuzapiškės reserve. Rudamina, Paveisininkai, Prelomciškiai and other hills have their own history to tell.
The region is famous by the amount of lakes it has – over 150 which take 10738 hectare territory. The biggest lakes are Dusia (2,334 hectare), Metelys (1,290 hectare), Veisiejis (765 hectare) and Seirijis (503 hectare). Yachtsmen really enjoy Dusia lake and fishermen enjoy their time by other lakes. On the edge of region flows largest river in Lithuania – Nemunas, and on the South edge – Baltoji Ančia and Seira.
The largest and most beautiful forest is Kapčiamiestis forest. Pertako and Dainavos forests are included into nations' protected territories list.
In an untouched environment near basins you can find over 40 countrified homesteads. Here tourists have great opportunity to relax by the lakes and enjoy forests. Hunters can hunt, fisherman – fish, those who like to relax – pick berries or mushrooms, daredevils – travel on watery courses by boat and canoe, horse lovers – to have a ride.
The name of Lazdijai city originates from the river Lazdija, on which banks' the city was founded. It is considered that before 4-6 thousand years the territory of this land was populated. Since times immemorial the Baltic tribe affined to Lithuanians and Prussians "Jotvingiai" lived there. They were occupied by arable farming, fishing and hunting. The names of places, rivers and lakes, characteristic for jotvingiai prove that this tribe had lived in this territory. In the second part of XII century they were vanquished and destroyed by the crusaders. In 1560, when Lithuania was ruled by the great duke Žygimantas Augustas, the land plot for foundation of the city near Lazdija river was located. Lazdijai city was founded on the crossroad of tree roads and lately gradually developed to all parts. In 1570 the first wooden church has been built in the city. Historical sources mention, that in 1571 the primary school functioned in Lazdijai. On May 17, 1957 the king Žigmantas Vaza granted the city of Lazdijai with Magdeburg rights. This date is celebrated as the birthday of the city. In the document, gracing Lazdijai with the city charter, the city seal- blazon is drawn: the elk and three keys under it on the red background. It was reproduced in 1994 and from that time became the symbol of the cityand of the region in all with administrative center Lazdijai.