The town is situated on the left bank of the Krazante River. The origin of the town's name is kelmyne which means "dense forest". Kelme was first mentioned in historical sources in 1410. In 1416 a wooden Catholic church was built. In the 18th century a brick estate and gate were built. They are interesting examples of the Baroque style in the province. The estate is now home to the district museum.