The town of Mosėdis was first mentioned in the Crusaders’ written documents in 1253. When the Lithuanian State was first coming into existence, it belonged to the Ceklis district. The area had few inhabitants and much of its areas were covered with forests. In the 16th and 17th centuries, these forests began to be cut down.
The town first stood on the hill on the southern bank of the Bartuva River. In the 15th century, the settlement belonged to the Bishop of the Lowlands.
In 1551, the first wooden church was build. At that time, the settlement spread to Baltic Sea and areas of current day Latvia. In 1783, the Church of St. Mykolas Archangelas was built. Construction was completed in 1884 when the towers were made taller.
In 1841, the town had 709 inhabitants, many of whom were Jews.
In 1907 fire greatly destroyed the town. Again on June 6, 1962, fire destroyed the town’s center. The damaged area was rebuilt with brick, and trees and greenery were painted everywhere. This area became the town’s most frequently visited spot.
Vaclovas Intas (1925–2007) is the establisher of the Museum of Rare Stones
In 1955 he graduated from the Kaunas Medical Institute and started working at the Mosėdis Hospital.
V. Intas brought plants of 1 300 species from the Soviet Union’s botanical gardens and decorated the whole Mosėdis.
From 1957 he started collecting stones.
Since 1971 big stones formed the Museum of Stones.
V. Intas was and still is assisted by many people who helped to establish and further develop the Museum.
The establisher was awarded by numerous diplomas, letters of honor and thanks.
Address: Salantų str. 2, Mosėdis, Skuodas district.