LITHUANIAN TIME:  Contact us NOW  phone: +37 052 625241 Emergency phone: +37 052 625241     
incoming@visitLithuania.net     

Travel information in:   

Lietuviðka informacija keliautojui Deutsch Finnish portugal Español Russian Français Italiano Chinese


~other
 

It is one of the most famous monuments of Jotvingiai tribe that once lived in Užnemunė. The mound covers 22,83 ha area. It was heaped on the shore of a former lake, on the top of isolated, high and massive hill. The hill base covers 2 ha, and its absolute height is as much as 195 m above the sea level. The hill is surrounded by wetlands and swamps.

According to T. Narbutas and J. Basanavičius, in Rudamina, on site of Jotviangian castles, the duke Ringaudas in 1240 built his own castle where in 1251 Mindaugas was coronated as the king. Crusaders destroyed this castle in 1381, by using a new weapon for their assault for the first time: these were gunpowder-driven bombards. In addition, J. Basanavičius related Rudamina Mound with another castle – Naujapilis, referred to in Chronica Nova Prutenica by Wigand of Marburg.

The mound was heaped in a safe location well protected by natural obstacles. The external rampart side of 5 – 8 m height mingles with the hill slope, therefore the Mound seems especially high, and with steep slopes. The field is also separated from the rampart by a ditch of about 20 m width and 3 m depth. Northern part of rampart was removed to equip the access, Expedition headed by R. Kulikauskienė and P. Kulikauskas researched the area of 220 m2 on the mound. They found a cultural layer with fragments of wheel-thrown and moulded pottery, animal bones and other finds. There were also traces of former fireplaces, and charred grain remains at them. The excavated blanks and metallurgic tools indicate that ironware was not only used here but produced as well. The arrowheads found in the hill witness the crusader attacks.

The only orginal and unique water, music, and light show in Lithuania! Ančia Lake boasts the fountain with light and sound installations at the perfectly restored Veisiejai town park. Veisiejai town is in the urban reserve. Everyone willing to enjoy this wonderful view is welcome to Veisiejai!

The Punia pinewood is curved by a 19 km winding of the Nemunas River. The highest pine of Lithuania grows there, centuries-old trees of the oak alley are granted names of Lithuania's grand dukes. Partisan headquarters' bunker of "Dainava" district was not far from there. There is a sculpture park "Zaltes valley" - a spacious forest ground with pagan altar and priestesses nursing the fire. One can come and see the museum in the Punia forestry, order an excursion. The Punia pinewood is dependent to the Nemunas hooks regional park.
bunkeris

Liškiava is mentioned in historical sources since 1044. Liškiava is located on the astonishingly beautiful left bank of the Nemunas river, 8 km from Druskininkai. People have lived in the Liškiava area since the second millennium BC. Liškiava has 4 archeological monuments: the Alka mound, the Church hill, a stone with a bull’s heel and the so called "the stone of witches".

Liškiava is famous for its architectural monuments: the 14-15th century castle, the remains of its tower, the 17th century sacral ensemble (church, former Dominican monastery and outbuildings), the 18th century churchyard fence, the steps to the churchyard, the 19th century campanile, the memorial column with the sculpture of St.Agatha. Many works of art remain in the church from the 17th to 20th centuries. In the 6th century BC – 9th century AD there was a wooden castle on the mound. The wooden castle was built at the end of 14th century and the beginning of the 15th century and later abandoned after the battle of Grunwald (1410).

Žideikonys village, Jieznas eldership, Prienai District, Lithuania

Rock is situated in front of the confluence to the two most beautiful rivers of Birštonas Municipality – Nemunas and Verknė.  Since old times this unusual spongy rock of sand, gravel, pebble and boulders of the height of 6m has been referred to as a stove of goats because the hinds, which by the locals were called goats, from the surrounding areas were fond of climbing and taking the sun over there. Rafters also came to like that place. Every year they used to bath in the water of the Verknė River those who were drifting rafts for the first time. In 1984, the rock was declared a geological nature monument.  The best view of rock is visible when sailing in the Verknė River.

Birutės st. 31, LT-59217 Birštonas, Lithuania

Soon after Birštonas was granted the status of the official resort (in 1854), the water healing site building was built in the town. In 1924, the Red Cross Organization became the official administrator of resort obligated to the then Department of Health to modernize and develop resort. Healing with mud was a significant event in Birštonas’ history. In order to exploit this opportunity of healing with mud, in 1927 "Tulpės" sanatorium mud healing site was built and they are still operating today. At that time, word "tynia" was used instead on "vonia" (bathtub) in Lithuanian language, therefore the new mud healing site was called "Purvotynia" in Lithuanian.

B. Sruogos St. 3, LT-59209 Birštonas, Lithuania

Working hours:
I-VII 7.30-9.00
12.30-14.00
17.30-19.00

A word "buvette" (pump-room) is derived from French. It refers to a building on mineral spring from which the spurting mineral water is consumed (The Dictionary of International Words).
As far back as in the XIXth century blockhouses and roofs were built for the mineral water springs of Birštonas. The spring discovered and explored in 1879 was named "Viktorija" by the owner of the resort I. Kvinta (to honour his daughter). However, later on by proposal of the writer J. Tumas-Vaižgantas the spring was renamed "Vytautas". Since 1928 the place of the spring was marked by a whale-shaped sculpture with water jetting from its jaws. After the construction of Kaunas hydro-electrical power plant the sculpture which had become the symbol of resort was immersed under the raised waters of the Nemunas.  In 1960, hydrogeologists discovered a mineral water spring the chemical composition of which was similar to the taste of the historical spring well-liked by the President A. Smetona, writer J. Tumas – Vaižgantas and sculptor J. Zikaras. Today, this water is supplied only to the Yellow pump-room located in the Vytautas Park.

Built in 1878, the Church of Nemajūnai with two façade towers and gazebo is the only original creation of wooden neo-gothic by folk craftsmen in Lithuania, however it also reflects other architectural styles. The main compositional idea – a romantic nostalgia of Middle Ages, aspiration to imitate the main façade of famous gothic monument - St. Anne's Church. Rectangular plan of church is designed in accordance with traditions of classicism, whereas the large-scale dome of building, and in part double-tower facade structure and interior composition are characterized by the features of neo-baroque. The interior of church is decorated by two paintings – "St. Apostles Peter and Paul" (1833) and "Jesus Christ and Holy Mary Magdalene" (1892) – painted to this church by academician of St, Petersburg Art Academy, painter Nikodemas Silvanavičius. The Chapel of St. Mary is behind the stained-glass doors located on the left side of central altar. The floor of chapel is covered by the folk work of the XIXth century – a carpet strung together from 64 ribbons of brides.

Amber gave name to the most important North-South connection of Central Europe. The ancient trade route coalesces countries and nations between the Baltic and the Mediterrenean Sea, and travelling along Amber Road is discovering European history and culture. Museums, archaeological sites, monumental castles, splendid palaces and historic cities are linked through this route. From St. Petersburg, capital of the Russian Tsars, to the outskirts of Venice, the Amber Road connects some of the most attractive tourism destinations of Europe.
A great diversity of thematic categories can be found along the Amber Road - UNESCO heritage sites, magnificent palaces as well as archeological parks.

Now and then Lithuanians and foreigners call Lithuania the Amber Land. Possibly because of the small pieces of amber one can find on the Lithuanian seashore or due to the traces of amber that have been found during excavations nearly all over Lithuania or perhaps because the first reference of Lithuania in the writings of C. Tacitus was particularly related to amber…
99 km long, the tourist route of the Lithuanian Amber Road covers the whole Lithuanian seaside from the Lithuanian border with Latvia in the north to the border with Russia (Kaliningrad region) in the south. The Lithuanian Amber Road passes through Šventoji, Palanga, the Seaside Regional Park, Klaipėda, Juodkrantė, and Nida .
The route is intended to introduce the tourists and travellers to the amber traditions in Lithuania including historic moments, extraction, processing, and jewellery.
Merkinė Castle had a great importance in the defence of Nemunas midstream from 1377 when crusaders started to invade. In Jogaila’s privilege of 1387 it was the only among other rather important castles (such as Nemunaitis, Alytus, Punia and Birštonas) which was called a real castle instead of small castle. The way of Lithuanian army to Grunwald in 1410 possibly went through Merkinė and Hrodna.
Birštonas Castle was a part of Trakai defensive system and one of the hunting palaces of Vytautas. When the wooden castle rooted only mound called as Vytautas Hill has left. Mound is often visited by tourists therefore nicely maintained. At the foot of the mound in 1998 the monument for Vytautas the Great created by sculptor Mr. Gediminas Jokūbonis was built.

Bistrampolis Manor House was opened after the restoration in the Panevezys District. It is one of the most significant manors in Northern Lithuania, located 14 km away from Panevezys (in the Kaunas direction), near the Uliunai settlement, 700 meters from the Via Baltica road.

Here you can visit a unique ensemble of the manor house buildings, have a stroll down the park, and get acquainted with the rich history of the manor house.

A hotel has been established in the restored manor house with 13 rooms intended for the accommodation of guests. The rooms of the hotel have been provided with ecological furniture manufactured from natural timber, the surfaces of which have been waxed and oiled using natural ecological materials. The first floor houses a cosy coffee house - restaurant. Conference halls and ballrooms have been established on the second floor, decorated with antique pieces of furniture and canvas. A spectacular outdoor summerhouse is located on Birutes Hill in the park of the manor, and the house of the gardener is located nearby. The silhouette of the park is enlivened by newly laid pathways and bridges joining the banks of the pond. There is a museum of book-smuggling established in the chapel, located more remotely from the central manor. Here one can see a fresco under the motives of book-smuggling painted by the world-famous painter, Professor Antanas Kmieliauskas. The main accent of the chapel is an authentic cross - in 1918 the best-known patriarch of the Lithuanian book-smugglers died hugging this cross.

A concert hall has been established in the former stud of the manor, in which Bistrampolis festivals have been taking place every summer since 2003.


The museum values, exhibited in the railway show the history of narrow gauge railway in Lithuania. Various kinds of rolling stock, tools, the collection of railway supervision instruments, the station stock, photographs, stamps used by railway men, uniform symbols, signal means, collected during the expeditions in various sections of railway are exhibited there. The oldest exhibit is a prewar telephone-commutator with 10 lines used for inside service. The first exposition was founded in the former storehouse in 1999 .The exposition was founded in the waiting lounge - benches of various periods are exhibited . The oldest ones are from the prewar time and have got the inscription ?Lithuanian railway?. The museum staff is planning to found the exposition in the water tower. Now visitors can see a water - heating stove with an original construction. The most interesting moving exhibit is the model of the railway engine made by a former railway man K.Bukauskas.

The town of Mosėdis was first mentioned in the Crusaders’ written documents in 1253. When the Lithuanian State was first coming into existence, it belonged to the Ceklis district. The area had few inhabitants and much of its areas were covered with forests. In the 16th and 17th centuries, these forests began to be cut down.
The town first stood on the hill on the southern bank of the Bartuva River. In the 15th century, the settlement belonged to the Bishop of the Lowlands.
In 1551, the first wooden church was build. At that time, the settlement spread to Baltic Sea and areas of current day Latvia. In 1783, the Church of St. Mykolas Archangelas was built. Construction was completed in 1884 when the towers were made taller.
In 1841, the town had 709 inhabitants, many of whom were Jews.
In 1907 fire greatly destroyed the town. Again on June 6, 1962, fire destroyed the town’s center. The damaged area was rebuilt with brick, and trees and greenery were painted everywhere. This area became the town’s most frequently visited spot.akmuo

Vaclovas Intas (1925–2007) is the establisher of the Museum of Rare Stones
In 1955 he graduated from the Kaunas Medical Institute and started working at the Mosėdis Hospital.
V. Intas brought plants of 1 300 species from the Soviet Union’s botanical gardens and decorated the whole Mosėdis.
From 1957 he started collecting stones.
Since 1971 big stones formed the Museum of Stones.
V. Intas was and still is assisted by many people who helped to establish and further develop the Museum.
The establisher was awarded by numerous diplomas, letters of honor and thanks.

Address: Salantų str. 2, Mosėdis, Skuodas district.

  • Opening hours - 1st May to 31st October I-VII  10.00 am. - 8.00 pm.;               1st November to 30th April I-V  8 am. - 5.00 pm.
  • Exposition - Chamber mineralogical petrographical exposition of stones; Field exposition.



Fly & Lease of campers in the Baltic.

Camper on the road

Take a tour and discover Baltics by yourself!

You will be able to travel comfortably throughout Baltic Sates in our campers, as passengers really may feel themselves like home and take any necessary stuff with them, even their most loved cup for coffee.
A virtue of motor homes is the possibility to be in the cabin in all companionship while going from place to place.
Moreover, you will be free as you will be independent from hotels and every evening you will be able to spend in any place you wish!

Prepaid individual transfer :

no trouble with money exchange upon arrival,
no need to take care oftaxi search,
no language problems !

The driver will wait for you at arrival hall with your name on the card, will help you with luggage and will safely transfer you to agreed place.
Please fill in the Transfer Reservation and we will contact you within 24 business hours with confirmation

KIA CARNIVAL  25 EUR (max 5 persons)                                                
MERCEDES-BENZ VIANO  35 EUR (max 7 persons)

per car only!