us NOW phone:
+37 052 625241 Emergency phone:
+37 052 625241
Alexei Fyodorovich Lvov (Russian: Алексей Фёдорович Львов)
(June 5, 1799 in Tallinn–December 28, 1870 in Romainiai (now Kaunas) was a Russian composer.
He composed the imperial Russian national anthem Bozhe, tsarya khrani (also known as God Save the Tsar).
He wrote the opera Undine in 1846.
He was entombed in the Pažaislis Monastery, Kaunas(Lithuania).
MEGA shopping and leisure centre stands out for its marine aquarium of 10 meters height, 4 meters wide and 11 meters length, while its volume is 170,000 liters. It is the highest aquarium in the Baltic States and also considered as one of the top ten highest aquariums in the world. MEGA aquarium is one of the most spectacular sights in the country!
It took 3 months for specialists from USA, Australia, South Africa, and Lithuania to build this aquarium. It is made of 90 tons of acrylic plates and 20 tons of stainless steel. The thickness of aquarium’s walls reaches 30 cm.
MEGA aquarium houses more than 30 various kinds of fish from the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the Pacific Ocean, the Red Sea, the Mediterranean Sea, the Caribbean Sea, in total more than 800 tropical fish and six sharks. Corals in the aquarium have been brought from the Republic of South Africa.
Sharks and other fish are fed and fostered by a professional team of divers and biologists. Sharks and fishes are fed every day at 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., on Saturdays - 1 p.m. Do not miss your chance to witness this!
The original bridge on wooden poles was built in 1812. It was used by Napoleon’s Army fleeing from Russia. There was no permanent bridge from Kaunas to Aleksotas until 1914. Aleksotas was under different laws during the rule of tsarist Russia. Kaunas was then part of the Russian Northwestern region, while Aleksotas and Užnemunė belonged to Poland, where the Napoleonic Code and even different calendars were used. Jokingly, Aleksotas Bridge was called the longest bridge in the world: the Slavic (Julian) calendar was used in the province of Kaunas, whereas Užnemunė used the Catholic (Gregorian) calendar; therefore, it took 13 days to cross the bridge (the old calendar was 13 days behind the new one). At the beginning of World War II, Aleksotas Bridge was mined on June 24, then blasted on June 26 by the order of the 8th Army General Shlemin. During the Nazi occupation, a temporary pontoon bridge was built and used throughout the period. A temporary wooden bridge served local needs until 1948. When it was swept away by a flood, German war prisoners built the present Aleksotas Bridge (architect L. Kazarinskis). The bridge had a draw mechanism, which did not function properly and, therefore, was never used.
Sculptor: V. Grybas. Erected in 1990 in commemoration of the 560th anniversary of the Lithuanian Grand Duke Vytautas.
Sculptor: J. Zikaras. Inaugurated in 1928, it is the symbol of Lithuanian Statehood. Destroyed during the Stalinist regime, it was restored in 1989.
Kaunas is the only city in Lithuania with this type of transport. In the residential districts of Žaliakalnis and Aleksotas these "climbing cars" serve both as a means of transport and entertainment. The Aleksotas funicular links the old part of the city with the slopes of Aleksotas hill, offering a marvellous panoramic view of the city. The Žaliakalnis funicular provides an easy way of reaching the Resurrection Church from the city centre.
The history of the Presidents’ Palace in Kaunas begins in 1846. The building was renovated in 1998–2003 and is open to visitors as a branch of the National M. K. Čiurlionis Art Museum. The Palace is symbolically “guarded” by bronze sculptures of the three interwar presidents – Antanas Smetona, Kazys Grinius and Aleksandras Stulginskis.
This is a specific musical instrument played outdoors, consisting of a set of chromatically tuned bells. The carillon bells are fixed onto special bars arranged in rows. The bells are played using a keyboard and pedals. The number of bells varies from 23 to 80. Carillons are installed in specially constructed towers or tall historical buildings.
The 35 bells for the Kaunas carillon were cast in the Michiels Jr. Tornau Foundry of Belgium in 1935. Gen. Vladas Nagevičius and composer Juozas Tallat-Kelpša secured the installation of the carillon in the Tower of the Vytautas the Great Military Museum.
Regular concerts of the Kaunas carillon began in 1956. The first carillon players were Viktoras Kuprevičius and Giedrius Kuprevičius. Currently, the instrument has 49 bells, and carillon concerts are performed by Giedrius Kuprevičius and Julius Vilnonis every Saturday and Sunday at 4 pm in the Garden of Vytautas the Great Military Museum (K.Donelaičio St. 64).
This 1.7 km-long street was built in the 19th century. Laisvės Avenue, connecting the new and old parts of the city, is a pedestrian street. The Avenue runs almost precisely in the East-West direction.
It is one of the most original and impressive examples of flamboyant Gothic architecture in Lithuania. The building was constructed in the late 15th century for Hansa merchants. In the 19th century, during the Romanticism period, a statue of Perkūnas (Thunder) was found in one of the walls, thus leading the building to be considered a pagan sanctuary. The first Drama theatre of Kaunas was established here in 1844. Presently, the House of Thunder belongs to the Jesuit gymnasium.
Often called the White Swan, the Town Hall’s construction was begun in 1542. The building encompasses Gothic, Baroque and early Classicism elements. In the Medieval Ages, the Town Hall, along with the main market place, was the centre of Kaunas. After its latest reconstruction in 1970, the Town Hall became the Wedding Palace with the Ceramics Museum in its basement.
The museum was founded in 1966.
The exposition was open for visitors in 1974.
Entire buildings and artifacts from towns, villages and farmsteads from all over Lithuania have been brought to this place and reassembled. They date from the second half of the 18th to the first half of the 20th century and are well worth seeing.
Museum’s establisher – Lithuanian Republic’s Ministry of Culture.
The Lithuanian country life museum is an exposition in the open air. The core of the museum - dwelling houses and economic buildings transferred from different regions of Lithuania – Aukštaitija (Upper Lithuania, Suvalkija, Žemaitija (Lower Lithuania or Samogitia), Lithuania Minor. The buildings are grouped in complexes: farmsteads, small villages, and towns. They represent the most characteristic stylistic features, planning, constructions, and decorative elements of buildings of different epochs and social strata.
Natural environment of the buildings is restored – fences, green plantation, sacral monuments. In 51 of these buildings an interior exposition with the equipment characteristic to some particular period is arranged – furniture, cloths, kitchen articles, working tools. In some buildings the process of some kind of work is demonstrated: making pots of clay, processing of the amber, wood, metal, weaving etc. A separate sector is devoted to the memory of the exile and torture of the Lithuanian people – wigwam, exile carriage, and monuments.
Address: L. Lekavičiaus str. 2, Rumšiškės, Kaišiadorių region
Fly & Lease of campers in the Baltic.Take a tour and discover Baltics by yourself!
You will be able to travel comfortably throughout Baltic Sates in our campers, as passengers really may feel themselves like home and take any necessary stuff with them, even their most loved cup for coffee.
A virtue of motor homes is the possibility to be in the cabin in all companionship while going from place to place.
Moreover, you will be free as you will be independent from hotels and every evening you will be able to spend in any place you wish!
Prepaid individual transfer :