The Mansion of Ch. Frenkelis (1857–1920), the owner of a tannery in Šiauliai, was built in 1908. Ch. Frenkelis Villa is the only architectural monument in Šiauliai and one of only a few in Lithuania built in the Art Noveau (Modern, Secession, Jugend) style. The brick building has a symmetrical plan with a tower at one end. Interiors of the building distinguish themselves with ornate wooden decorations, stucco works, and imposing fragments of frescos. In 1993 the Villa was given over to the Aušros Museum, restoration work started, and expositions have been made.
One part of the exposition “A Provincial Manor and a Town” creates the stylized environment of the estate. There are 4 galleries (Eastern Art Gallery, the Kings Gallery, the Landowners' Gallery and The Gallery) and 4 halls, devoted to interiors (The Library, The Yellow and The Green Salons, and The Dining Room). The other part – “The Provincial Town” – introduces the retro cinema hall “Kapitol”, a reconstructed fragment of the street and a shop. The exposition “Jewish Heritage in Šiauliai: the Merchants Frenkelis” is devoted to the owner of the Villa, prominent manufacturer Ch. Frenkelis.
The Ch. Frenkelis Villa is functioning as a historical cultural centre, welcoming visitors to the multilayer cultural heritage of Lithuania and all of Europe, inviting a museum exposition, and offering the town community a wide choice of cultural activities, exhibitions and concerts.
Vilniaus str. 74
+370 41 43 36 80