The museum was founded in 1921 by the general Vladas Nagevičius (1881–1954), who became its director.
The museum was founded in 1921 in a wooden manage of the Cossack regiment of the Don and is one of the oldest museums in Lithuania.
The founder of the museum – Vladas Nagevičius (1881–1954). He was the director of the museum for a number of years. Corner stone of the new building of the museum was consecrated in 1930. The same year the museum was named after Vytautas Magnus.
On February 16, 1936 a new building of the museum was opened.
On July 25, 1940 the museum was deprived of the name Vytautas Magnus.
On January 29, 1990 the real name was returned to the museum.
Founder of the museum – Ministry of National Defence Republic of Lithuania (since January 1, 2006)
Address: K. Donelaičio g. 64, Kaunas.