In 1559 the Frenchman Claudius Drohotius put forward a project to construct the bastions, but the project was not implemented as in 1598 Josua Putkamer and Hanns Philips Fuchs proposed a new project. However, we do not know whether this project was carried out. In 1627 steps were taken to improve the tower and fortify the town. Two years later, in 1629, the Swedes attacked and devastated the Castle. Yet another disaster was the fire in the Castle in 1660. Both the Gunpowder Towers, the mill and bakery were reconstructed only in 1666, but not much time passed and the Castle, together with building materials, were again destroyed by fire. The next fire with big losses was in 1669. Nevertheless Klaipėda Castle was again reconstructed and in 1686 one more stage of the improvement of the defensive system commenced. The last fortification of the Castle and the town continued from 1756 to 1763.
After the Seven-Year War Klaipėda Castle lost its strategic importance and was abandoned. In 1770 the Castle was sold and the outside fortifications of the Castle were destroyed. The buildings of the Castle were used for the needs of the town. Without any repairs the Castle little by little turned to ruins and in 1872 to 1874 the last buildings of Klaipėda Castle were destroyed.
Address: Pilies str. 4, Klaipeda.