Feeling the impending death, local population of the late seventeenth century started to correct their errors and by nineteenth century re-created environmentally healthy, aesthetic landscape. In year 1800 the Prussian government ordered to do everything possible to save the settlements on the southern part of the Spit, and it was assigned to experienced in such works senior dune inspector of Danish origin Sioren Bjorn (1744-1819), which a few years ago has issued a Memorandum "How to protect the Spit from sand blizzards by taking care of and greening the dunes”. Biggest merit of Bjorn was that he began to build a protective coastal mound. During 20 years he added 20 kilometers of protective barrier dunes.
In the first part of nineteenth century postal station chief David Gottlieb Kuwertas with his son Georg started planting trees on the Spit. It was difficult grow a tree in the dead sea of sand. Until the protective embankment strip was formed along entire coast seedlings again and again got covered up the sand. Both Kuwertas built wind shields on the western part of the road, and planted drought-resistant plant species. Born and raised here they were well aware of Nida's surroundings, and primarily dangerous places to be greened. For soil and seedling fertilization they used horse manure accumulated in huge reserves at the postal horse yards. The forest they planted saved Nida and prevented the post road from sanding.
Both Kuwertas buried in the old cemetery of foresters in Nida. People of the town immortalized father and son struggle with the sand putting up a cup form monument on their grave. Their gratitude on the monument reads in Latin "... who’s son Georgas Dovydas Kuwertas Meloviškis, who died in 1856 first began to sprout forest trees in a sad barren of Nida. The monument is located at the end of the G. D. Kuwertas street (on the the right side of Klaipeda-Kaliningrad road).