At present the monument for Vytautas the Great – “The creator of Powerful Lithuania” is standing in the Laisvės Avenue in front of the Municipality building. It was built in Sąjūdis movement times in 1989. This was a reverence to the honourable history of Lithuania as well as protest against the Soviet occupation. Around 1951 the occupational forces destroyed the monument for Vytautas which was ordered by the Military Academy of Lithuania and made according to the project of prominent sculptor Mr. Vincas Grybas in 1932. Together with the monuments for Vytautas in Perloja and Veliuona this was a reflection of a solemnly celebrated anniversary of Vytautas. An original monument was built in Panemunė next to the house of the Military Academy of Lithuania. The monument rebuilt in 1989 was the copy of the destroyed one, but this time people of Kaunas chose the place which is visited more often – the crossroads of Laisvės Avenue and Sapiega Street. In the podium of the monument four men representing four nations which obeyed the orders of Vytautas: Russian, German, Tatar and Polish are holding the ruler of Lithuania. In the original version of the monument they as well as the podium were made of concrete, but in the one rebuilt in 1989 they are made of bronze.