us NOW phone:
+37 052 625241 Emergency phone:
+37 052 625241
The Orthodox Church of St. Michael and St. Constantine (Lithuanian: Šv. Konstantino ir Michailo Cerkvė) is a Russian Orthodox church in Vilnius, Lithuania.It was built in 1913 to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the Romanov Dynasty.It was built by I. Kolesnikov, and incorporates the Rostov and Suzdall architectural styles. On its consecration day of May 13, the church was visited by the former royal figure Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna, known at the time of consecration as "Sister Elizaveta", now a martyr within the Russian Orthodox Church.
Šnipiškių St. 1
Tel. +370 5 272 4164
This is a stylish monument of the late Baroque built in the first half of the 18th century. The towers of the church were built in the middle of the 18th century, they are crowned with rococo helmets and lanterns.
The church and the adjacent monastery belonged to the Jesuits. After the Society of Jesus had been dissolved, in 1993 the church was given to the Order of Catholic monks (Ordo Clericorum Regularium Pauperum Matris Dei Scholarum) established in Rome in 1597 to teach children of poor families.
Later the church was converted into the barracks and the warehouse of the military. In 1860 the Church was returned to the Catholics.
The painting St Raphael the Archangel adorns its high altar. This Church has benches (in the middle aisle) made in the first half of the 18th century, which were moved from the Church of Bernardino into it.
Our Lady of the Sign Church is an Orthodox church in the Žvėrynas district of Vilnius, built in 1903.
The idea of building a new Orthodox church in Vilnius came from Orthodox Brotherhood of the Holy Spirit, which also organised a collection of funds in the whole Russian Empire. The church, constructed in the most popular Neo-Byzantine style, was consecrated in 1903 by Iuvenaliy, the Orthodox archbishop of Vilnius. He also opened a school for poor children and a library which were to be run by the church's clergy. In order to conmemorate the day, he granted to the newly established parish a copy of Our Lady of Kursk icon.
Unlike many other Orthodox churches in Vilnius, the church was not closed during the World War I, nor the World War II. The Soviet government agreed to register it as a parish church in 1948. Before 1956, the church was robbed a few times, losing part of the icons from the original iconostasis which had to be replaced by a far humbler one. The church was fully restored inside and outside in 2009.
Didžioji g. 34
tel. (370-5) 2121715, fax: (370-5) 2121876
Founded by the Jesuits and dedicated to St. Casimir, construction of the church began in 1604. Povilas Bokša, the assistant provincial and Jan Prockowicz, a Jesuit architect oversaw the work. The church was finished and consecrated in 1635. It burned down in 1655, when the Russian army entered Vilnius. The church was twice more destroyed by fire in 1707 and 1749.
The famous architect and astronomer Tomas Žebrauskas, SJ, headed the reconstruction of the church in 1749-55. His work can be seen in the graded cupola and the main altar. From 1751 to 1753 Hans Kierner, a Prussian sculptor, decorated the interior. Frescos of St. Casimir's life were painted by the Czech artist Joseph Obst.
In 1919 Blessed George Matulaitis returned the church to the Jesuits. Its restoration in 1925 was overseen by the architect Jan Borovski.
From 1940 the Lithuanian Jesuits worked in the church. In 1942 the crown on the cupola, a symbol of Lithuanian independence, was restored under the architect Jonas Mulokas.
In 1949 the church was again closed, this time by the Soviets, who stored grain in it. At this time the entire inventory of the church was destroyed, including the altars, organ, and bells. In 1963 the church was turned into a museum of atheism.
The church was returned to the Roman Catholic community in 1988. After intense restoration the church was reconsecrated in 1991, and the Jesuits again work in it.
Didžioji st. 2
St. Paraskeva Church is an Orthodox church in Vilnius.
The first Orthodox church of St. Paraskeva was constructed on demand of prince Algirdas' first wife, a Vitebsk princess Maria, who was subsequently buried there in 1346. According to the legend, the church was built on the site of a temple to the pagan god, Ragutis. This church was completely destroyed by fire in 1557 and rebuilt three years later, but burned down again in 1611. Although ruined, it was given to the uniate parish. In 1655, it was given back to the Orthodox parish and renovated.
During the Great Northern War, in 1705, the church was visited by the Russian tsar Peter the Great, who prayed there for the military victory. During the same service, Abram Petrovich Gannibal was baptised, with the tsar serving as the godfather. Three years later, the victorius tsar decided to grant some of the conquered Swedish flags to St. Paraskeva's church.
In 1748, the building was again destroyed by fire and rebuilt in 1795. However, it stood closed during the following forty years, slowly falling into decline. In 1864, on the orders of the Russian local government, it was rebuilt and enlarged in Neo-Byzantine style by Nikolay Chagin.
The church was devastated during the II World War. Although it was renovated again, the Stalinist government didn't allow the Russian Orthodox Church to start holding its services there. At first, a Museum of Atheism was to be opened there, but in the end the church was turned into a gallery of Lithuanian folk art. The church was given back to the Orthodox Church only in 1990 and reconsecrated by Metropolitan Khrisostom the following year. Since then it has been an auxiliary church of the Cathedral of the Theotokos.
Didžioji st. 12
St. Nicholas Church is one of the oldest Orthodox churches in Vilnius, Lithuania.
According to a popular legend, the first wooden Orthodox chapel located on the place of today's St. Nicholas church was built around 1340. Seven years later, the Vilnius martyrs were supposedly buried there. However, in 1350, Uliana of Tver, the second wife of prince Algirdas, ordered to build a new brick church. In 1514 this church was again replaced with a larger one. It remained Orthodox up to 1609, when, like most of Vilnius Orthodox churches, it was given to the Uniates on a personal order of the king Sigismund III Vasa.
Around 1740 the church was completely destroyed by fire and rebuilt in Baroque style. In 1839 the Russian local government closed the Uniate parish and given the building back to the Orthodox. After the failed Polish January Uprising, it was completely rebuilt in Neo-Byzantine style on the personal initiative of general-governor of Vilnius Mikhail Nikolayevich Muravyov-Vilensky. The renewed church was to be another sign of Russian domination in the city, becoming the fifth Orthodox church in the Old Town of Vilnius. Muraviev ordered also the construction of St. Michael the Archangel chapel which was to commemorate his victory over the Polish uprising. In 1866 the whole church was reconsecrated. The general-governor's role in the reconstruction of the church was described on a marble plaque on the western wall of the church.
After World War II the church was closed, but in 1947 the Stalinist government agreed to reopen it as a parish church. The general renovation of the building took place before 1956.
S. Daukanto st.1
Tel. +370 5 261 6087
To the west of the President’s Office is the Church of the Holy Cross, built on the site of the martydom of a group of Franciscan friars in the 14th century. In the 16th century, a Gothic chapel of the Holy Cross was built here by the Bishop of Vilnius Povilas Alšėniškis. Soon the adjoining house was converted into a Baroque church which was given to the Bonifari.
The Bonifari church was famous for the well in its basement whose water had wonder-working healing powers (especially for eyes) and the painting of St Mary Snow (Bonifari Mother of God) on the high altar, which was said to have miracle –working powers.
In 1976 the Church was converted into a concert hall, and known as the Small Baroque Hall. Nowadays the Church has been returned to the Catholic Church.
Šv. Jono St. 12, Vilnius
Tel. +370 5 212 1715
One of the picturesque parts of the Vilnius University building is the Church of Sts. Johns and its bell tower. The full name of the church is the Church of St. John the Baptist and St. John the Evangelist.The construction of this church lasted for almost 40 years and was completed in 1426. At that time it was a Gothic building. In 1571 the church was transferred to the Order of Jesuits and became a part of the university complexes.
Besides masses, the Church of Sts. Johns has also witnessed student protests, theatre performances, and welcoming ceremonies for kings. In Soviet times, it was turned into a warehouse. Later, the University Museum was established here.
Today, the Church of Sts. Johns performs its main functions once again. It was visited by Pope John Paul II in 1993.
The bell tower of the church, which is 68 meters high, is among the highest buildings in the Old Town. From the June of 2011 visitors are invited to admire and enjoy the panoramic view of the Old town of Vilnius from the bell tower of St. John's Church.
The church of Trakai parish was funded by the Grand Duke Vytautas right after the construction of Trakai Island Castle was completed. Vytautas also funded the congregational school – first known congregational school in Lithuania. The inside of the church was painted in frescos of Byzantine style, the fragments of which were found while repairing in 2007. The records testify that portray of the church funder Grand Duke Vytautas was also painted among other frescos. The church has many values of ecclesiastical art: 500 objects of fine art are registered as well as the unique part of a cross of 15-16th centuries.
The picture of the Trakai Mother of God, which according to the legend was donated by Vytautas, is revered from old times. It was the most revered picture in the Grand Duchy of Lithuania and it became the first picture of Mary crowned by the Pope. The prominent ecclesiastic man who descended from Trakai was Mr. Motiejus Trakiškis, the first bishop of Samogitia (1417-1422) and the 5th bishop of Vilnius (1422-1453).
Aušros Vartų St. 7B , Vilnius
Tel. +370 5 212 2578
The Church is a square basilica shape, with elements of Gothic, Baroque and Russian Byzantine styles. The first church on the site was built to mark the spot where three Lithuanian Christians martyrs Anthony, John and Eustace were martyred. Legend has it that in 1937 Grand Duke Algirdas’ wife Julijona built a wooden Orthodox Church in their honour. In the 16th century the Church was funded by Constantin Ostrogishki as the Orthodox Church. Between 1608 and 1827 the Church belonged to the Uniates of the Basilian Order. Later the Church was given to the Orthodox Church and after independence it was returned to the Uniates.
Fly & Lease of campers in the Baltic.Take a tour and discover Baltics by yourself!
You will be able to travel comfortably throughout Baltic Sates in our campers, as passengers really may feel themselves like home and take any necessary stuff with them, even their most loved cup for coffee.
A virtue of motor homes is the possibility to be in the cabin in all companionship while going from place to place.
Moreover, you will be free as you will be independent from hotels and every evening you will be able to spend in any place you wish!
Prepaid individual transfer :