Old Trakai Castle was the oldest brick castle established by Gediminas. Firstly it was build up as a second capital of Lithuania, but later this role was passed for newly built Trakai. This castle was a birthplace of the commander of Grunwald Battle – Grand Duke Vytautas.
According to the legend Gediminas built this castle even before moving the capital to Vilnius. It was a brick castle but only building structure under the ground and the castle site of spectacular size with the buildings of Benedictine monastery and Neo Gothic style church has left until present day.
Gediminas passed this castle, centre of the one most strategically important region of Lithuania, to his son Kęstutis. He ruled the Duchy of Trakai in 1337-1382 as a distinguished commander and protector of Lithuania from the Teutonic Forces. Around 1350 it was here in the Old Trakai in the family of Kęstutis and Birutė the greatest ruler of Lithuania of all times Grand Duke Vytautas was born.
Kęstutis left the Castle of Old Trakai in the 8th decade of 14th century when the new castle was built in 6 km to North-West, in the Peninsula of Galvė Lake. It was the Trakai Peninsula Castle. Meanwhile the Old Castle of Trakai which importance faded was given to Benedictine monks in 1405 by Vytautas. Eventually ruled by them this castle has ruined.
The reconstruction of the present monastery building started in the second half of 18th century. It was closed in 1845 and the buildings were passed to a presbytery next to which in 1898-1899 the present Neo Gothic church emerged. In 2010 the monastic life in the monastery complex was resumed – the monastery of St. John Apostolic Sisters was established.