The castle of Voruta was one of the most important castles during the reign of the first and the only crowned King of Lithuania Mindaugas (1238–1263). Here Mindaugas defended himself in 1251, in time of the internal war. Later Voruta disappeared and its location became a matter of dispute among historians. The hillfort of Šeimyniškėliai near Anykščiai (which was called Varutė Hill by the local people) is the most reliable site of the castle of Voruta.
The archaeological investigations of the hillfort started in 1990 (chief – Gintautas Zabiela). In 1997 the mayor of the Anykščiai region Saulius Nefas suggested an idea of building a wooden castle on the Šeimyniškėliai (Voruta) hillfort. It was supported by a large number of representatives of intelligentsia not only in Anykščiai, but also in the whole of Lithuania. After long discussions with both the community and experts of cultural heritage protection, the construction of the castle on the entirely excavated hillfort was approved.
On February 26, 1999, in the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Lithuania a declaration concerning the construction of the wooden castle was signed.
It is located not far from Anykščiai, near the New Elmininkai. It is the most explored mound in the Lithuania at these days. It is the most widely explored mound in all the East Baltic, too. The results of the archeologists let us reproduce the real plan of the castle. It has been a big dream from 1997 till 2009, to built a new authentic wooden castle as the sign of respect to our historical past. The castle should become the ,,alive museum” with a real battles of the knights. As if it was the first such kind of building in Lithuania, built in the authentic area, it should engage the different people in Lithuania and abroad.