us NOW phone:
+37 052 625241 Emergency phone:
+37 052 625241
The Orthodox Church of St. Michael and St. Constantine (Lithuanian: Šv. Konstantino ir Michailo Cerkvė) is a Russian Orthodox church in Vilnius, Lithuania.It was built in 1913 to commemorate the 300th anniversary of the Romanov Dynasty.It was built by I. Kolesnikov, and incorporates the Rostov and Suzdall architectural styles. On its consecration day of May 13, the church was visited by the former royal figure Grand Duchess Elizabeth Feodorovna, known at the time of consecration as "Sister Elizaveta", now a martyr within the Russian Orthodox Church.
Šnipiškių St. 1
Tel. +370 5 272 4164
This is a stylish monument of the late Baroque built in the first half of the 18th century. The towers of the church were built in the middle of the 18th century, they are crowned with rococo helmets and lanterns.
The church and the adjacent monastery belonged to the Jesuits. After the Society of Jesus had been dissolved, in 1993 the church was given to the Order of Catholic monks (Ordo Clericorum Regularium Pauperum Matris Dei Scholarum) established in Rome in 1597 to teach children of poor families.
Later the church was converted into the barracks and the warehouse of the military. In 1860 the Church was returned to the Catholics.
The painting St Raphael the Archangel adorns its high altar. This Church has benches (in the middle aisle) made in the first half of the 18th century, which were moved from the Church of Bernardino into it.
Didžioji g. 34
tel. (370-5) 2121715, fax: (370-5) 2121876
Founded by the Jesuits and dedicated to St. Casimir, construction of the church began in 1604. Povilas Bokša, the assistant provincial and Jan Prockowicz, a Jesuit architect oversaw the work. The church was finished and consecrated in 1635. It burned down in 1655, when the Russian army entered Vilnius. The church was twice more destroyed by fire in 1707 and 1749.
The famous architect and astronomer Tomas Žebrauskas, SJ, headed the reconstruction of the church in 1749-55. His work can be seen in the graded cupola and the main altar. From 1751 to 1753 Hans Kierner, a Prussian sculptor, decorated the interior. Frescos of St. Casimir's life were painted by the Czech artist Joseph Obst.
In 1919 Blessed George Matulaitis returned the church to the Jesuits. Its restoration in 1925 was overseen by the architect Jan Borovski.
From 1940 the Lithuanian Jesuits worked in the church. In 1942 the crown on the cupola, a symbol of Lithuanian independence, was restored under the architect Jonas Mulokas.
In 1949 the church was again closed, this time by the Soviets, who stored grain in it. At this time the entire inventory of the church was destroyed, including the altars, organ, and bells. In 1963 the church was turned into a museum of atheism.
The church was returned to the Roman Catholic community in 1988. After intense restoration the church was reconsecrated in 1991, and the Jesuits again work in it.
Our Lady of the Sign Church is an Orthodox church in the Žvėrynas district of Vilnius, built in 1903.
The idea of building a new Orthodox church in Vilnius came from Orthodox Brotherhood of the Holy Spirit, which also organised a collection of funds in the whole Russian Empire. The church, constructed in the most popular Neo-Byzantine style, was consecrated in 1903 by Iuvenaliy, the Orthodox archbishop of Vilnius. He also opened a school for poor children and a library which were to be run by the church's clergy. In order to conmemorate the day, he granted to the newly established parish a copy of Our Lady of Kursk icon.
Unlike many other Orthodox churches in Vilnius, the church was not closed during the World War I, nor the World War II. The Soviet government agreed to register it as a parish church in 1948. Before 1956, the church was robbed a few times, losing part of the icons from the original iconostasis which had to be replaced by a far humbler one. The church was fully restored inside and outside in 2009.
Didžioji st. 2
St. Paraskeva Church is an Orthodox church in Vilnius.
The first Orthodox church of St. Paraskeva was constructed on demand of prince Algirdas' first wife, a Vitebsk princess Maria, who was subsequently buried there in 1346. According to the legend, the church was built on the site of a temple to the pagan god, Ragutis. This church was completely destroyed by fire in 1557 and rebuilt three years later, but burned down again in 1611. Although ruined, it was given to the uniate parish. In 1655, it was given back to the Orthodox parish and renovated.
During the Great Northern War, in 1705, the church was visited by the Russian tsar Peter the Great, who prayed there for the military victory. During the same service, Abram Petrovich Gannibal was baptised, with the tsar serving as the godfather. Three years later, the victorius tsar decided to grant some of the conquered Swedish flags to St. Paraskeva's church.
In 1748, the building was again destroyed by fire and rebuilt in 1795. However, it stood closed during the following forty years, slowly falling into decline. In 1864, on the orders of the Russian local government, it was rebuilt and enlarged in Neo-Byzantine style by Nikolay Chagin.
The church was devastated during the II World War. Although it was renovated again, the Stalinist government didn't allow the Russian Orthodox Church to start holding its services there. At first, a Museum of Atheism was to be opened there, but in the end the church was turned into a gallery of Lithuanian folk art. The church was given back to the Orthodox Church only in 1990 and reconsecrated by Metropolitan Khrisostom the following year. Since then it has been an auxiliary church of the Cathedral of the Theotokos.
Fly & Lease of campers in the Baltic.Take a tour and discover Baltics by yourself!
You will be able to travel comfortably throughout Baltic Sates in our campers, as passengers really may feel themselves like home and take any necessary stuff with them, even their most loved cup for coffee.
A virtue of motor homes is the possibility to be in the cabin in all companionship while going from place to place.
Moreover, you will be free as you will be independent from hotels and every evening you will be able to spend in any place you wish!
Prepaid individual transfer :